Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Thai Basil

It was Friday night, and the typical Friday night question was looming in the air "what do you want to do for dinner?"  Blair asks me this every Friday which always generates a sigh and a "I don't know..."  The problem with Friday night dinners is a three-part issue 1)we are typically too busy throughout the week to put much thought into our Friday nights, 2) we almost always have big plans that require an early start on Saturday so we aren't up for anything fancy, and 3) I have spent all week planning and cooking dinner, and frankly, I just want food to appear in front of me without a single thought.

As we entered our typical discussion, we remembered the suggestion from Blair's cousins and our neighbors, the Broga's.  They love this little place Thai Basil, so we thought we would give it a whirl.  To say that this place is unassuming is a gross understatement.  It is a tiny joint in the back of a strip mall.  However, upon pulling up I can't help but notice the gianormous (yes, that is a word) sign claiming the "World's Best Pad Thai!  Beat Bobby Flay"  Hold the phone.  Bobby Flay, as in Food Network's Bobby Flay??  Yep!

I immediately cannot wait to sink my teeth into the "World's Best Pad Thai!"  We decide to warm up with an appetizer.  We ask the waitress for her recommendation.  She is quick to give it to us, although I can't honestly say that either Blair or I had a clue what we were getting.  Whatever she calls that concoction, it was fantastic!  The herbs were fresh, the peanuts crunchy with a nice sweetness and fat content perfect for balancing the cilantro and lime aromatics...how's that for food speak?

I ordered the Pad Thai and Blair ordered the Drunken Noodles.  Both were cooked to perfection!  Blair cleaned his plate no problem, and my Pad Thai made a delicious dinner and wonderful lunch the next day.  Is it the "World's Best?"  I don't know, I haven't eaten all of the world's Pad Thai, but I can say definitively, that this is hands-down the best I have ever had.

I also LOVED the note from the owner placed under the fiberglass table covers letting all patrons know that if their meal isn't wonderful and if they don't leave happy to be sure to let him know.  He will take care of it.  I don't know what that means, but I am happy we did not need to find out.  We will absolutely be going back!  Thanks Broga's!!!

Now for a few horrible photographs of our delicious dinner...remind me to take a photography class.

The World's Best Pad Thai
Fantastic Drunken Noodles

1 comment: