Sunday, July 17, 2011

Wine Styles South Riding

I have recently been given the great compliment of "Wino" by more than a few friends.  Now, some might think this is a sign to put the glass down, but I think of it as an accomplishment.  I have always wanted to learn more about wine, and I finally started getting an education from Wine Styles of South Riding.   Some of you may know that I even worked there for a bit...unfortunately, the store schedule wasn't working out with my full-time gig.  The fact that I am blogging about Wine Styles after quitting should give you a good indication that I am still friendly with the staff and a dedicated customer.

Wine Styles is a franchise, and each store is locally owned and operated.  The one in our neighborhood is owned by the fun, outgoing Debbie Hobson. 

Wine Styles isn't the place to go if you are looking for the world's most rare, expensive bottle, but that's not the point of Wine Styles. This is the place where you go to "Taste, learn, enjoy," as goes the company slogan.  Wine Styles offers a wine club for roughly $35 per month.  For this fee, you get two bottles of wine with a magazine that teaches you about the wines, winemakers, and recipes for paring these wines.  You also get free admission for 2 to their weekly wine tastings, and discounted rates to feature tastings.  It is at these tastings that Blair and I have really started to understand the differences in wines.  We have learned what we like, and what we don't. It was such a bummer to buy a bottle of wine that we thought was nice based on price alone, only to realize we didn't like that varietal (like the wine lingo?)  This has helped us make smarter purchases and impress a few neighbors. 

Wine Styles also offers live music and the occasional beer tasting.  Check out Wine Styles of South Riding next time you are in the neighborhood...I'll probably see you there :)

Here are some pics from one of our recent trips to Wine Styles.
The wines are organized by flavor/boldness to help you make the right choice


A wine tasting hosted by one of the employees of the featured Vineyard
My cute husband with our new bottle thinking "I'm so happy my wife has started blogging and now takes pictures of me everywhere we go!"

No comments:

Post a Comment